We asked the Elmgren's if they could write a blog for Gustavsberg to share their experiences and thoughts during their bathroom renovation. It almost became a 30 weeks long journey, which begun with moisture bubbles on their bathroom wallpaper and ended with a bathroom of their dreams. Read the family's story down below.
WEEK 1 - BUBBLES IN THE WALLPAPER
Our renovation project begun about the same time as we discovered bubbles in the wallpaper under our bathroom sink. At first, we suspected a leak in one of the pipes in the wall, and we called our insurance company who told us that we easily could examine the emergence of the bubbles on our own. After a month or two our suspicions about the real reason of the emergence of the bubbles had increased, and we called our insurance company a second time. After the second call, our insurance company immediately send Anticimex to investigate if it was a moisture damage or not.
With help from Anticimex we got to know that the moisture damage originated from a unknown leak in the bathroom (which is from 1964), and the measured moisture levels informed us that we have to tear out the whole bathroom which consists of two adjacent bathrooms and a small amount of parquet. Two months of dehumidifications awaits...
WEEK 2 - THE TEARING OF THE OLD BATHROOM HAS BEGUN
The tearing of the old bathroom has begun. A huge amount of the old bathroom interior is removed. In one way, it feels very tough to know that we have to live in this mess during two months and we are extremely thankful to have a toilet and a shower in the basement. Although, two months time give us the opportunity to really think and plan how we want the new bathroom to look like.
WEEK 10 - TOUGH TO LIVE IN A CONSTRUCTION SITE
Even though the workers clean up after themselves before they leave, it's tough - to put it mildly - to live on a building site...
WEEK 11 - TEARING DOWN AND REBUILDING
It turns out that all the intermediate walls are made of light concrete which means that they're too weak. As a result, we have to knock down every wall (five in all) one after the other, and then build them up again using wood, aluminium profiles, fibreboard and plasterboard.
WEEK 12 - GET RID OF THE TRASH
We're finally done with the construction chaos...
WEEK 13 - PROGRESS IS BEGINNING TO SHOW
We are now starting to see more and more tangible progress. The electrical cables are in place, and holes have been made for the new piping.